Sunday, February 19, 2006

Tenacious Grasshoppers Riding on Windshields

I have recently caught up with a few of you that, until recently, I haven't seen or spoken to in over 10 years. Scary, isn't it, that technology has come so far as to offer us this alternate universe where it's easier to find old friends than it is to check our email. For me, it's almost like living in the twilight zone! So, this is an opportunity to share a little bit about myself and what has occurred in my life over the last little bit.
Where to begin is the question? Hmmm... Let's retrace our steps to the Summer of 1997. I had just graduated from High School and had the whole world at my fingertips. Do I attend the university where I had been accepted or try to "find myself" first? Choosing the latter of the two seemed, initially, rather intimidating. But, I was young, enjoyed a challenge and knew my mother and I had some emotional work to do. This decision lands me in Colorado (for the first time).
You see, my mother and I had not been on speaking terms for almost 6 years. I, instead lived with my father for a short bit and then with my grandparents during high school. Not a bad life, just slightly confusing for someone who wanted nothing out of her childhood/adolescence but a little bit of normalcy. So, I was in Colorado ready and willing to hash out the past with my mother. Surprisingly enough, though, we had both grown to the point of acceptance and welcomed one another back into each others life. After accomplishing that feat, something in me felt the need to return to Texas (ok, ok so it was all about a boy). But, I promised Colorado that I would soon be back...
Back in Texas, I decided on Austin as my new home and lived in the city for almost 3 years. Shortly after that 3 year period ended, my sense of adventure got the best of me. I definitely needed a change of pace and scenery.
Those of you who have known me for a while... Brace yourselves! Not sure of where I wanted to go or what I wanted to do with myself, I packed up/sold most of my stuff and drove out to a cozy little campground in the hill country, set up camp and decided to stay a while. Granted, I had company most of the time, camping for over a month proved itself to be an undoubtedly rewarding experience.
Let me just give you a brief description so that you can better understand my living quarters: no t.v., no hot water - solar showers only, mostly canned food - as all I had for refrigeration was an ice cooler, no cozy bed - the hard ground suited me just fine. My tent had a large moon roof, though. So, every night before closing my eyes, the stars were bright enough to aid in my self reflection. After a month of "living in the wilderness", I found part of myself I didn't even know had existed and I finally recognized the path that I should continue on.
There is this little town, right on the Colorado River, called Marble Falls. Thanks to my grandparents, I had grown up vacationing there; beautiful, all year round. So, this is where I started over; soulfully refreshed. Over the next three years I was educated in the arts of (almost) perfect love, good wine, sailing boats, fish slaying and massage therapy. My surroundings stayed the same, but I continued to evolve. Not quite satisfied, and after much inward deliberation, I yet again, packed my bags and headed back to Colorado; the mountains were calling my name.
This time, my transition into Colorado was much easier. I didn't have any issue with settling right in. My friends here are fantastic and I continue to grow, finally on the path towards fulfilling my purpose. My outward appearance hasn't changed much, but I feel well balanced and spiritually attuned with every aspect of my life. I wouldn't call what I have experienced in life "absolutely fantastic". But, most of it has been an education that I wouldn't trade a million dollars for.
So, here we are my dears. This should add a little bit of understanding and, if nothing else, feed some curiosity and a need bubbling inside of you to get to know me again ;)
People are constantly coming in and out of our lives, but true friends last a lifetime. Glad to have all of you back.
*muah*

No comments: