Tuesday, June 13, 2006

Woulda, Shoulda, Coulda

I spoke with a friend today. She seemed positive and jovial; this is good considering her circumstance and the weight of the world that lies on her shoulders. Her energy was high and her spirit seemed to smile and I was happy for her. I was truly happy for her.

When we got off the phone, I sat for a while and thought about her situation. She has never been the type to complain and she always looks at the bright side of things. She is strong, so strong to be handling her situation this way. But, I know her well enough to know that deep, deep down she is hurting and unsure of herself. I immediately found myself lost in a sea of emotion. To not be there with her, for her, sends a sharp, stabbing pain right through my heart and I suddenly would very much like a cigarette.

As I smoke, I realize how much we have been through together. She has loved me, supported me, wiped away my tears for most of my life. I have listened, reassured and enfolded her in my arms regularly. But, to not be there for her at that moment, when I knew how strong she was trying to be for me...To know that, if I were there, all she probably would require of me would be a hug... That I was unable to do that for her when she obviously needed it most broke my heart into a million tiny pieces.

The mundane unimportance of our daily routine creates a stagnant pool of disillusionment that requires little thought and less action.

There would be absolutely nothing wrong with showing a little love to someone in need, even if that means breaking protocol in order to see it through. If you think about it, consciously making someone happy is much easier and has the ability to happen more frequently than unknowingly letting that someone down.

The key thought here is that communication of your feelings and your thoughts are key to showing someone you care.  Sometimes the words just don't seem to fit, but there will always be that something that you could do instead.

No comments: