Wednesday, November 14, 2007

Time Flies

My day flew by today. Working seems to be all I do, lately. Not that this is a bad thing, seeing as how I love what I do. Perfecting what I do for the sake of our members and allowing myself to be educated in all things non-profit are the two things that most move me to excel.

My hours are leveling out a bit. The earlier I am able to get in, the earlier I am able to leave... usually. The hours are still long, though and are spent mostly staring at a computer screen flipping back and forth between a few programs and data bases while answering phone calls and membership requests.

The little old ladies that call in our my favorite. They must have been mighty forces back in the day. To be their age and to fight for a (then) unfavorable cause shows just how gutsy they truly are. A few have even cried when the reason behind why they're calling turns out to be because their social security checks aren't large enough to support their monthly contributions to their favored organization. So sad. I stay on the phone with them as long as they need me to.


My least favorite are the men and women that call in to change the name on the membership to theirs because their spouse/partner/brother/mother passed away. They don't want to give up on something that obviously meant so much to the person that they lost; they want to keep their loved ones legacy alive. It's so meaningful, really. And, it shows how important our place in this world is.

I've never felt so useful in my life.

No comments: